© 2017 by Elizabeth Grimm Coaching, LLC.

 

Why Should I Work With A Health Coach?

October 10, 2017

Are you frustrated with the current state of your health and ready to do something to feel better? Were medications prescribed for you, but it only feels like a band-aid, instead of getting to the root of your health issues? Are you working with a Functional Medicine practitioner, but need more 1:1 support to help you be successful with their program? Do you wish you had the tools to better self-manage your chronic illness or autoimmune disease?

 

If you said yes to any of the above questions, a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach might be just the thing you need.

 

When you work with a coach you have a supportive and compassionate person who is on your team and will help you succeed. This person is educated about the impact of stress, genetics, physical movement, sleep, food, hydration, relationships, environment and digestion on health conditions. Your coach will help you break down your long term goals into small achievable pieces that will help you put one foot in front of the other.  A little progress each day eventually adds up to big results.

 

Many people say they can do those things on their own and they don’t think they need a coach, but the reality is, if they could do it on their own they wouldn’t be feeling poorly right now.

 

A coach will focus on what is right with you instead of what is wrong with you. So many times when you see a doctor all you hear is, “You have _____ disease.” “Your blood sugar is too high.” or “You need to lose weight.” This is not unsound for doctors to assess what is going on with your body so they can try and find a solution, in fact it is a good thing. Practitioners are trained to focus on dysfunction in the body and determine a solution. Often the solution they find doesn’t come easy. Pills are not always the answer and more and more doctors are recognizing patients could benefit by making lifestyle changes to improve their health without the negative side-effects of medications. Practitioners don't always have the capacity to walk with with a patient through that journey.  This is where a health coach can help fill in the gap. A health coach can help you remember what strengths you have as you co-create a plan of practical steps for stabilizing blood sugar, losing weight or adjusting to life with an autoimmune disease. When the practitioner is on board, the three of you become a collaborative care team focused on improving your health.

 

I’m not telling you once you hire a health coach all of your worries will disappear. Working with a coach is hard work and takes commitment. You will be addressing the core fundamentals of health (stress, genetics, physical movement, sleep, food, and digestion, etc.) and how they are impacting your wellness. By working with a health coach you will achieve results you didn’t know were possible and you will begin to feel better. You will also develop the skills to be in the driver’s seat of your own wellness.

 

One question I hear a lot is about setbacks or what happens if you mess up? Let me tell you, setbacks are NORMAL! Only 5% of the population is able to set a goal and achieve it without messing up. For the rest of us 95%, we set a goal and we recycle back before we move forward again. During the coaching process, your coach will help you to get back up and start again, but will also help you harness the tools for how to do this in your life past the coaching relationship.

 

I spent 4.5 years in bed treating my chronic Lyme disease and have since become the health coach I wish I had with me through my journey. As a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach I have received intensive training to support you through your health journey. If you are interested in learning if coaching is a good fit for you, please schedule a free 15-minute call with me. 

 

-Elizabeth

 

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Blog

Featured Posts

Why Should I Work With A Health Coach?

October 10, 2017

1/2
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Follow Me
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon